- The definition of hoarse is something that sounds rough or husky.
An example of something hoarse is the voice of someone with a bad cold.
- harsh and grating in sound; sounding rough and husky
- having a rough, husky voice
Origin of hoarseMiddle English hors, hase ; from Old English has, akin to Old Norse hāss, Old Saxon hēs, Old High German heisi ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kai-, heat from source hot, heat
- Rough or grating in sound: a hoarse cry.
- Having or characterized by a husky, grating voice: yelled ourselves hoarse.
Origin of hoarseMiddle English hos, hors, from Old English hās, *hārs.
From Middle English hors or hos, from Old Norse hás (whence the Icelandic hás), akin to Old English hās.