- The definition of hoarse is something that sounds rough or husky.
An example of something hoarse is the voice of someone with a bad cold.
- harsh and grating in sound; sounding rough and husky
- having a rough, husky voice
Origin: Middle English hors, hase from Old English has, akin to Old Norse hāss, Old Saxon hēs, Old High German heisi from Indo-European base an unverified form kai-, heat from source hot, heat
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective hoars·er, hoars·est
- Rough or grating in sound: a hoarse cry.
- Having or characterized by a husky, grating voice: yelled ourselves hoarse.
Origin: Middle English hos, hors, from Old English hās, *hārs.
- hoarseˈly adverb
- hoarseˈness noun
hoarse - Medical Definition
- Rough or grating in sound, as of a voice.
- Having or characterized by a husky, grating voice.