- The definition of hoarse is something that sounds rough or husky.
An example of something hoarse is the voice of someone with a bad cold.
hoarse definition by Webster's New World
- harsh and grating in sound; sounding rough and husky
- having a rough, husky voice
Origin: Middle English hors, hase ; from Old English has, akin to Old Norse hāss, Old Saxon hēs, Old High German heisi ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kai-, heat from source hot, heat
hoarse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective hoars·er, hoars·est
- Rough or grating in sound: a hoarse cry.
- Having or characterized by a husky, grating voice: yelled ourselves hoarse.
Origin: Middle English hos, hors, from Old English hās, *hārs.
- hoarseˈly adverb
- hoarseˈness noun
hoarse - Medical Definition
- Rough or grating in sound, as of a voice.
- Having or characterized by a husky, grating voice.