hmm[həm: conventionalized pronun.]
- Hmm is defined as a sound you make to express hesitation or when you are thinking about something or don't know exactly what to say.
An example of hmm is what you say when someone asks you a tough question and you pause for a second before answering.
- Indicating thinking or pondering.
- Hmm... that's an interesting idea.
- Hmm... I just can't decide between the two.
- A demand for an answer to a question.
- Just where were you until 2 a.m.? ... Hmm?
(third-person singular simple present hmms, present participle hmming, simple past and past participle hmmed)
- (intransitive) To make a thoughtful humming noise.
- mhm, MMH
- (computer science) hidden Markov model