- without a head; specif.,
- organically without a head; acephalous
- without a leader or director
- stupid; brainless
Origin of headlessMiddle English hevedles ; from Old English heafodleas
- a. Formed without a head.b. Decapitated.
- Lacking a leader or director.
- Lacking intelligence and prudence; stupid or foolish.
- Without a head; decapitated.
- How did the headless horseman see to chase Ichabod?
- Without a head in the sense of leadership.
- The headless army blundered along after the death of their general, accomplishing nothing.
- (linguistics, of a phrase or compound) Not having a head morpheme or word.
- (computing) Running without a user interface; specifically, running without a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- (of beer) Without a head of foam.