head starthead start
an early start or other advantage given to or taken by a contestant or competitor
- Sports A start before other contestants in a race.
- An early start that confers an advantage.
(plural head starts)
- (idiomatic) An advantage consisting in starting a competition or task earlier than might be expected; given (taken), for example, prior to the beginning of a race.
- Fred gave his younger brother a five minute head start in the Easter egg hunt.
- I want to set off at dawn to get a head start over the competition.
- (idiomatic) A factor conducive to superiority and success.
- His father's money gave him a head start in life.
- In the United States, a government funded preschool program for impoverished children.