Hawaiian[hə wä′yən, -wī′ən]
of Hawaii or its people, indigenous language, or culture
- a person born or living in Hawaii
- a Hawaiian of indigenous Polynesian descent
- the Austronesian language of the Hawaiians
- a. A Native Hawaiian.b. A native or inhabitant of the Hawaiian Islands or the state of Hawaii.
- The Polynesian language of Hawaii.
- (of a resident of Hawaii): This sense is disliked by some descendants of the pre-European Hawaiians.
- (a resident of Hawaii): This sense is avoided almost universally by residents of Hawaii and those familiar with residents of Hawaii. It is best avoided in all contexts. Use "Hawaii resident" instead for non-ethnic Hawaiians.
- The Hawaiian language.
Hawaii + -an
- (rare) Alternative spelling of Hawaiian.
- This is sometimes proscribed because, although the ʻokina is appropriate for use in Hawaiian words, Hawaiian is English.