have yet to
- Have yet to is defined as an activity, task, event or circumstance which has not occurred or which has not been done.
- An example of have yet to is when you mean to go to the store but haven't gotten around to it yet.
- An example of have yet to is when you have never yet heard of an honest politician.
have yet to
Variant of yet
- up to now or the time specified; thus far: he hasn't gone yet
- at the present time; now: we can't leave just yet
- still; even now; in the time still remaining: there is yet a chance for peace
- at some future time; sooner or later: she will thank you yet
- now or at a particular time, implying continuance from a preceding time: we could hear him yet
- in addition; further; still; even: usually with a comparative: he was yet more kind
- as much as; even: he did not come, nor yet write
- now, after all the time has elapsed: hasn't he finished yet?
- nevertheless: she is comfortable, yet lonely
Origin of yetMiddle English yit ; from Old English giet, gieta, akin to Old Frisian ieta
but; regardless of this: she seems happy, yet she is troubled
up to now
have yet to (do something)
to have not yet (done something): we have yet to win