haute couture[ōt′ko̵̅o̅ to̵or′]
- the leading designers and creators of new fashions in clothing for women, collectively
- the clothing created by them
Origin of haute coutureFrench literally , high sewing
- The leading establishments or designers for the creation of exclusive fashions.
- a. The creation of exclusive fashions.b. The fashions created.
Origin of haute coutureFrench : haute, feminine of haut, high, elegant + couture, sewing.
- A common term for high fashion as produced in Paris and imitated in other fashion capitals such as New York, London, and Milan.
- The fashion houses or fashion designers that create exclusive and often trend-setting fashions
- Any unique stylish design made to order for wealthy and high-status clients.
- French fashion