- The definition of a harrumph is a loud expression of disapproval or a loud clearing of the throat.
A loud disapproving sound is an example of a harrumph.
- To harrumph means to make a loud noise of disapproval, or to clear your throat loudly.
When someone does something you do not approve of and you make a loud grunting noise to show your dissatisfaction, this is an example of a time when you harrumph.
harrumph definition by Webster's New World
- to clear one's throat, esp. in a studied, pompous way
- to protest or complain in a pompous or self-righteous way
harrumph definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb har·rumphed, har·rumph·ing, har·rumphs
- To make a show of clearing one's throat.
- To offer usually brief critical comments: harrumphed for a while over the proposal.
- har·rumphˈ noun