Variant of harmony
noun pl. harmonies
- a combination of parts into a pleasing or orderly whole; congruity
- agreement in feeling, action, ideas, interests, etc.; peaceable or friendly relations
- a state of agreement or orderly arrangement according to color, size, shape, etc.
- an arrangement of parallel passages of different authors, esp. of the Scriptures, so as to bring out corresponding ideas, qualities, etc.
- agreeable sounds; music
- the simultaneous sounding of two or more tones, esp. when satisfying to the ear
- structure in terms of the arrangement, modulation, etc. of chords
- the study of this structure
Origin: ME armony < OFr harmonie < L harmonia < Gr < harmos, a fitting < IE base *ar- > art, arm
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.