- The definition of hardheaded is someone who is stubborn, or someone who is practical rather than sentimental.
- A stubborn old relative in your family who will never compromise or listen to new ideas is an example of someone who is hardheaded.
- A businessman who can make practical and logical decisions is an example of someone who would be described as hardheaded.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- shrewd and unsentimental; practical; matter-of-fact
- stubborn; obstinate; dogged
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Stubborn; willful.
- Realistic; pragmatic.
- hardˈheadˈed·ly adverb
- hardˈheadˈed·ness noun