- 1737-93; Am. statesman: president of the Continental Congress (1775-77) & 1st signer of the Declaration of Independence
- 1824-86; Union general in the Civil War
- Hancock, but has in many cases escaped the observation of later zoologists.
- The birthplace of Longfellow is now a tenement house.
- In the south-western part of Pittsfield, on the boundary between it and Hancock, is Shaker Village, settled about 1790 by Shakers.
- Hancock, Gratiolet and others to be connected with the opening and closing of the valves, or with their attachment to or movements upon the peduncle.
- Two other pairs have been termed divaricators by Hancock, or cardinal muscles (" muscles diducteurs " of Gratiolet), and have for function the opening of the valves.