a member of a people living in the mountains of Nepal, famous as soldiers
- A member of a Rajput ethnic group predominant in Nepal.
- A member of this people serving in the British or Indian armies.
Origin of GurkhaNepalese from Sanskrit gorak&slowdot;ah cowherd Sanskrit gauh cow ; see gwou- in Indo-European roots.Sanskrit rak&slowdot;ati he protects
- While Gurkha has been the popular spelling worldwide, inside Nepal, the correct spelling is considered to be Gorkha.
(comparative more Gurkha, superlative most Gurkha)
- referring or belonging to the Gurkha people
- The Gurkha royal house of Shah united all Nepal under its rule
- referring or belonging to a/the Gurkha soldier/units
- In 2009, Gurkha veterans were awarded better terms in the UK