- The definition of gun shy is a person or animal that is afraid of loud noises or is distrustful.
- An example of gun shy is a dog that hides in the bathtub on 4th of July because of the sound of fireworks.
- An example of gun shy is a woman who carries pepper spray in her hand whenever she walks alone.
- easily frightened at the firing of a gun: a gun-shy dog
- frightened, wary, mistrustful, etc., as because of a previous experience
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- gun-shyness noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Afraid of loud noise, such as that of gunfire.
- Extremely distrustful or wary.