Gullah definition by Webster's New World
- a member of a group of former slaves and their descendants living on the Sea Islands and in adjacent isolated coastal areas of South Carolina and Georgia
- the English creole spoken by the Gullahs, containing vocabulary and grammatical features from various West African languages
- loosely any variety of black speech of coastal South Carolina or Georgia
Origin: after uncertain or unknown; perhaps Gola (Gula), tribal group in Liberia, or ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Ngola, tribal group in the Hamba basin in Angola
Gullah definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One of a group of people of African ancestry inhabiting the Sea Islands and coastal areas of South Carolina, Georgia, and northern Florida.
- The creolized language of the Gullahs, based on English but including vocabulary elements and grammatical features from several African languages and spoken in isolated communities from Georgetown in eastern South Carolina to northern Florida.
Origin: Perhaps alteration of Angola or from Gola, a people of Sierra Leone and Liberia.