- Groundbreaking is defined as something innovative, pioneering or that has never been done before.
When there is a new medicine that may help to treat cancer that has never been in existence before, this is an example of a groundbreaking new treatment.
- The definition of a groundbreaking is a ceremony held when construction is started on a new building.
An example of a groundbreaking is when the mayor comes before the media to dig up the first shovel full of dirt for the new police building.
- designating or of the ceremony of breaking ground, as for a new building
- Of, relating to, or being a ceremony of breaking ground.
- Characterized by originality and innovation: groundbreaking technology.
(comparative more groundbreaking, superlative most groundbreaking)
- A ceremony to mark the beginning of construction.
- The point at which construction begins.