- Groundbreaking is defined as something innovative, pioneering or that has never been done before.
When there is a new medicine that may help to treat cancer that has never been in existence before, this is an example of a groundbreaking new treatment.
- The definition of a groundbreaking is a ceremony held when construction is started on a new building.
An example of a groundbreaking is when the mayor comes before the media to dig up the first shovel full of dirt for the new police building.
groundbreaking definition by Webster's New World
- designating or of the ceremony of breaking ground, as for a new building
- groundbreaker noun
groundbreaking definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or being a ceremony of breaking ground.
- Characterized by originality and innovation: a groundbreaking technology.