- Present participle of grease.
- An application of grease.
Variant of grease
- melted animal fat
- any thick, oily substance or lubricant, esp. the substance that is put on the moving parts of automobiles and other machines to make them run smoothly
- an inflammation of the skin of a horse's fetlock or pastern characterized by cracked skin and an oily dischargealso grease heel
- the oily substance in uncleaned wool; suint
- an uncleaned fleecealso grease wool
Origin of greaseMiddle English gresse ; from Old French craisse ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form crassia ; from Classical Latin crassus, fat, thick: see crass
in (the) grease
- fat and ready to be killed: said of game animals
- in an uncleaned condition: said of wood or fur