grass rootsgrass roots
- the common people, orig. those esp. of rural or nonurban areas, thought of as best representing the basic, direct political interests of the electorate
- the basic or fundamental source or support, as of a social or political movement
of or having to do with the grass roots
also grass′-roots′ or grass′root′
- (idiomatic) People and society at the local (most basic) level rather than at the national centre of political activity
- The essential foundation or source of something
- Alternative spelling of grassroots.