- ☆ the common people, orig. those esp. of rural or nonurban areas, thought of as best representing the basic, direct political interests of the electorate
- ☆ the basic or fundamental source or support, as of a movement
See grass roots in American Heritage Dictionary 4
plural noun (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
- People or society at a local level rather than at the center of major political activity. Often used with the.
- The groundwork or source of something.
- grassˈ-rootsˈ (grăsˈro͞otsˈ, -ro͝otsˈ) adjective