- The definition of gossamer is light, thin and filmy.
An example of something gossamer is a layer of bubble liquid spread in the air.
- The definition of a gossamer is a cobweb, or a soft, sheer piece of cloth.
An example of a gossamer is a very lightweight, sheer piece of fabric.
A gossamer cobweb.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a filmy cobweb floating in the air or spread on bushes or grass
- a very thin, soft, filmy cloth
- ☆ a lightweight waterproof coat
- anything like gossamer in lightness, flimsiness, etc.
Origin: Middle English gosesomer, literally , goose summer: with allusion to the warm period inch(es) fall (St. Martin's summer) when geese are inch(es) season and gossamer is chiefly noticed
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A soft sheer gauzy fabric.
- Something delicate, light, or flimsy.
- A fine film of cobwebs often seen floating in the air or caught on bushes or grass.
Origin: Middle English gossomer : gos, goose; see goose + somer, summer (probably from the abundance of gossamer during early autumn when geese are in season); see summer1.
- gosˈsa·mer·y adjective