- The definition of gossamer is light, thin and filmy.
An example of something gossamer is a layer of bubble liquid spread in the air.
- The definition of a gossamer is a cobweb, or a soft, sheer piece of cloth.
An example of a gossamer is a very lightweight, sheer piece of fabric.
A gossamer cobweb.
- a filmy cobweb floating in the air or spread on bushes or grass
- a very thin, soft, filmy cloth
- ☆ a lightweight waterproof coat
- anything like gossamer in lightness, flimsiness, etc.
Origin of gossamerMiddle English gosesomer, literally , goose summer: with allusion to the warm period in fall (St. Martin's summer) when geese are in season and gossamer is chiefly noticed
- A fine film of cobwebs that is often seen floating in the air or is caught on bushes or grass.
- Something that is light, delicate, or sheer, such as fabric.
Origin of gossamerMiddle English gossomer : gos, goose; see goose + somer, summer (probably from the abundance of gossamer during early autumn when geese migrate and are often hunted ); see summer1.
(countable and uncountable, plural gossamers)
(comparative more gossamer, superlative most gossamer)