girdle definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic a belt or sash for the waist
- anything that surrounds or encircles
- ☆ a woman's elasticized undergarment for supporting or molding the waist and hips
- the rim of a cut gem
- ☆ a ring made by removing bark around the trunk of a tree, so as to kill it
- Anat. a bony arch or encircling structure supporting the limbs: the pelvic girdle
Origin: Middle English girdil ; from Old English gyrdel ; from base of gyrdan (see gird): akin to German gürtel
girdle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A belt or sash worn around the waist.b. Something that encircles like a belt.c. An elasticized, flexible undergarment worn over the waist and hips, especially by women, to give the body a more slender appearance.
- A band made around the trunk of a tree by the removal of a strip of bark.
- The edge of a cut gem held by the setting.
- Anatomy The pelvic or pectoral girdle.
- To encircle with or as if with a belt. See Synonyms at surround.
- To circle around: a ring of hills that girdled the city.
- To remove a band of bark and cambium from the circumference of (a tree), usually in order to kill it.
Origin: Middle English girdel, from Old English gyrdel; see gher-1 in Indo-European roots.
girdle - Medical Definition
- Something that encircles like a belt.
- An elasticized, flexible undergarment worn over the waist and hips.
- The pelvic or pectoral girdle.
girdle - Science Definition