gigolo[jig′ə lō′, z̸hig′-]
- The definition of a gigolo is a derogatory term for a male escort or dancing partner, or is a term used for a man who is supported by a woman in exchange for being her lover or escort.
An attractive young man who is supported by a rich older woman is an example of a gigolo.
- a man who is paid to be a dancing partner or escort for women
- a man who is the lover of a woman and is supported by her
Origin of gigoloFrench masculine back-formation ; from gigole, prostitute, origin, originally , tall, thin woman ; from Old French ; from gigue, long-legged, thin girl, thigh, leg, fiddle: see gigot
- A man who has a continuing sexual relationship with and receives financial support from a usually older woman.
- A man who is hired as an escort or a dancing partner for a woman.
Origin of gigoloFrench, perhaps from gigolette, dancing girl, prostitute, from giguer, to dance, from gigue, fiddle, from Old French; see gigot.
First attested in English in 1922. From French gigolo (“young lover kept by an older woman”) (first attested in that sense in 1901; attested since 1894 in the sense "elegant young man whose means of livelihood are dubious", and since 1850 in the sense "lover of a gigolette or pimp"), , a back-formation from gigolette (“promiscuous dancing girl, girl available for hire as a dancing partner”) (attested since 1850), from giguer (“to dance”), from gigue (“fiddle”).