- The definition of a gigolo is a derogatory term for a male escort or dancing partner, or is a term used for a man who is supported by a woman in exchange for being her lover or escort.
An attractive young man who is supported by a rich older woman is an example of a gigolo.
gigolo definition by Webster's New World
- a man who is paid to be a dancing partner or escort for women
- a man who is the lover of a woman and is supported by her
Origin: French masculine back-formation ; from gigole, prostitute, origin, originally , tall, thin woman ; from Old French ; from gigue, long-legged, thin girl, thigh, leg, fiddle: see gigot
gigolo definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. gig·o·los
- A man who has a continuing sexual relationship with and receives financial support from a woman.
- A man who is hired as an escort or a dancing partner for a woman.
Origin: French, perhaps from gigolette, dancing girl, prostitute, from giguer, to dance, from gigue, fiddle, from Old French; see gigot.