- The definition of gibbous refers to a moon in between a half-moon but less than a full moon, or something that protrudes or creates an obvious bulge.
- When the moon is more than half full, this is an example of a gibbous moon.
- When you have a humpback, this is an example of a gibbous back.
- protuberant; rounded and bulging
- designating the moon, a planet, etc. in that phase in which more than half, but not all, of the face reflects sunlight to the earth
- humpbacked; kyphotic
Origin of gibbousMiddle English ; from Classical Latin gibbosus ; from gibba: see gib
- a. Characterized by convexity; protuberant: a gibbous seashell.b. More than half but less than fully illuminated from the point of view of an observer. Used of phases of the moon or the planets.
- Archaic Having a hump; humpbacked.
Origin of gibbousMiddle English, bulging, from Late Latin gibbōsus, hunch-backed, from Latin gibbus, hump.
(comparative more gibbous, superlative most gibbous)