- The definition of Gestapo was the German Secret Police during Nazi rule.
Secret military police that would come and take away people who opposed the Nazis are an example of the Gestapo.
- the secret police force of the German Nazi state, notorious for its terrorism, brutality, etc.
- any secret police
- Slang any police force or other authority regarded variously as sinister, ruthless, brutal, etc.
Origin of Gestapo; from German Ge(heime) Sta(ats)po(lizei), secret state police
- The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
- gestapo pl. ge·sta·pos A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the German security police organized under the Nazi regime.
- gestapo Of, relating to, or characteristic of terroristic police methods or operations: gestapo tactics.
Origin of GestapoGerman Ge(heime) Sta(ats)po(lizei), secret state police : geheim, secret + Staat, state + Polizei, police.