- The definition of Gestapo was the German Secret Police during Nazi rule.
Secret military police that would come and take away people who opposed the Nazis are an example of the Gestapo.
Gestapo definition by Webster's New World
- the secret police force of the German Nazi state, notorious for its terrorism, brutality, etc.
- any secret police
- Slang any police force or other authority regarded variously as sinister, ruthless, brutal, etc.
Origin: ; from German Ge(heime) Sta(ats)po(lizei), secret state police
Gestapo definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
- gestapo pl. ge·sta·pos A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the German security police organized under the Nazi regime.
- gestapo Of, relating to, or characteristic of terroristic police methods or operations: gestapo tactics.
Origin: German Ge(heime) Sta(ats)po(lizei), secret state police : geheim, secret + Staat, state + Polizei, police.
Gestapo - Cultural Definition
The secret police of the Third Reich in Germany. The Gestapo operated against Germans suspected of treason by using brutal interrogation and torture; they instilled widespread fear by their terrorist methods.
- “Gestapo tactics” in general are intimidating official procedures.
- Figuratively, any brutal secret police organization may be called a “gestapo.”