- The definition of gentrified is a restored urban area that had formerly been falling apart.
An example of gentrified is a neighborhood that was once falling apart that is now thriving, a gentrified neighborhood.
- Gentrified is defined as to have restored a neighborhood that had been falling apart.
An example of to have gentrified is to have brought a crumbling town back into a glorious appearance.
- simple past tense and past participle of gentrify
Variant of gentrify
transitive verbgentrified, gentrifying
- to convert (a deteriorated or aging area in a city) into a more affluent middle-class neighborhood, as by remodeling dwellings, resulting in increased property values and in displacement of the poor
- to raise to a higher status or condition; improve, uplift, etc.
Origin of gentrify; from gentry + -fy