- having a strong, tangy flavor like that of cooked game
- strong in smell or taste; slightly tainted
- plucky; game
- risqué or racy
- salacious, coarse, or crude
marriage, sexual union: polygamy
Origin of -gamyClassical Greek -gamia ; from gamos: see gamo-
- a. Having the flavor or odor of game, especially game that is slightly spoiled.b. Ill-smelling; rank.
- Showing an unyielding spirit; plucky: a gamy little mare that loved to run.
- a. Corrupt; tainted: “those considerable forces in America that appear to be tired of the old politics (particularly the gamy municipal variety)” (Tom Wicker).b. Sordid; seamy.c. Sexually suggestive; racy.
- Marriage: exogamy.
- Procreative or propagative union: allogamy.
- The possession of a specified manner of fertilization or specified reproductive organs: apogamy.
Origin of -gamyGreek -gamia, from gamos, marriage; see gem&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more gamy, superlative most gamy)
- Alternative spelling of gamey.