- the hock of a horse or similar animal
- a frame shaped like a horse's hind leg, used by butchers for hanging carcasses
- gambrel roof
Origin of gambrelNorman French from Old French gambe: see gamb
- The hock of a horse or other animal.
- A frame used by butchers for hanging carcasses by the legs.
Origin of gambrelFrench dialectal gamberel from Old North French from gambe leg from Late Latin gamba hoof ; see gambol .
(third-person singular simple present gambrels, present participle gambrelling, simple past and past participle gambrelled)
- To truss or hang up by means of a gambrel.
Origin uncertain, perhaps from Old Northern French gamberel, from gambe (“leg”).