future tensefuture tense
(plural future tenses)
The future tense in English is indicated with compound verbs made up of a main verb plus auxiliary verbs or helper verbs.
The simple future tense is made up of shall plus the infinitive (without "to") in the first person, and will plus the infinitive in the second and third persons.
- I shall go, we shall go
- You will go
- He, she, it, they will go
The emphatic future tense reverses the auxiliary verbs:
- I will go, we will go
- You shall go
- He, she, it, they shall go
Another form uses the progressive form of go plus the infinitive:
- I am going to walk, we are going to walk
- You are going to walk
- He, she, it is going to walk, they are going to walk
Besides these examples, there are other periphrastic forms to indicate future tense.
- attributive form of future tense
- future-tense form