- The definition of futility is having little or no purpose or importance or has little positive outcome.
An example of futility is getting the outside of an SUV washed before taking it off-roading in the mud.
futility definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. futilities
- the quality of being futile
- a futile act, thing, etc.
futility definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. fu·til·i·ties
- The quality of having no useful result; uselessness.
- Lack of importance or purpose; frivolousness.
- A futile act.