Variant of frown
- to contract the brows, as in displeasure or concentrated thought
- to look with displeasure or disapproval (on or upon)
Origin: ME frounen < OFr frognier < froigne, sullen face < Gaul *frogna, nostrils, akin to OIr srón, nose
- Now Rare to silence, subdue, etc. with a disapproving look
- to express (disapproval, disgust, etc.) by frowning
- a contracting of the brows in sternness, thought, etc.
- any expression of displeasure or disapproval
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.