free willfree will
- freedom of decision or of choice between alternatives
- the freedom of the will to choose a course of action without external coercion but in accordance with the ideals or moral outlook of the individual
- the doctrine that people have such freedom
- The ability or discretion to choose; free choice: chose to remain behind of my own free will.
- The power of making choices that are neither determined by natural causality nor predestined by fate or divine will.
Origin of free willMiddle English fre wil, translation of Late Latin l&imacron;berum arbitrium : Latin l&imacron;berum, neuter of l&imacron;ber, free + Latin arbitrium, will.