free fallfree fall
- the unchecked fall of anything through space, the atmosphere, a vacuum, etc., specif., the part of a parachutist's jump before the parachute is opened
- any unchecked, usually rapid, decline, as in value, status, or stability
free fall (sense )
intransitive verb-·fell′ , -·fall′en , -·fall′ing
to undergo, experience, or move in a free fall
- The fall of a body within the atmosphere without a drag-producing device such as a parachute.
- The ideal falling motion of a body that is subject only to the earth's gravitational field.
- Rapid uncontrolled decline: “The markets threatened to go into free fall and we came within an eyelash of … an uncontrollable panic” ( Felix Rohatyn )