- An experience of frightening feelings or hallucinations, especially due to taking a drug.
- An experience or scene of unrestrained excitement or irrational behavior.
- One having such an experience or participating in such a scene.
(third-person singular simple present freaks out, present participle freaking out, simple past and past participle freaked out)
- (slang, intransitive) To react (cause to react) with extreme anger or fear to something to the extent that one loses one's composure or behaves irrationally; originally, to suffer an unexpected and severe bad reaction from the recreational use of a psychotropic - usually hallucinogenic - drug,
- (slang) To scare someone.
Coined in the Mothers of Invention album Freak Out.