a masculine name: dim. Frank; equiv. Fr. François, Ger. Franz, It. Francesco, Franco, Sp. Francisco; fem. Frances, Francine
Origin of FrancisOld French Franceis ; from Medieval Latin Franciscus ; from Germanic an unverified form Franco: see Frank
- (born Jorge Mario Bergoglio) 1936-; pope (2013-)
- 1494-1547; king of France (1515-47)
- 1768-1835; last emperor of the Holy Roman Empire (1792-1806) and, as Francis I, first emperor of Austria (1804-35)
- Baron Verulam, Viscount St. Albans 1561-1626; Eng. philosopher, essayist, & statesman
- 1909-92; Brit. painter, born in Ireland
- 1647-76; Am. colonist born in England: leader of a rebellion (1676) which sought social reform
- 1214?-94; Eng. philosopher & scientist
Originally Jorge Mario Bergoglio. Born 1936.
Pope (since 2013). The first pope from the Americas and the first from the Southern Hemisphere, he was elected following the resignation of Benedict XVI.