- unfair play; action that breaks the rules of the game
- criminal action or violence; esp., murder
- When a fire is caused by arson, this is an example of a situation when there is foul play.
- When someone tackles in football in a way that is against the rules, this is an example of foul play.
The definition of foul play is a treacherous action, unfair play or play that breaks the rules of the game.
- Intentionally violent or injurious behavior, especially that suggestive of a criminal act.
- Inappropriate, unethical, or unlawful conduct, especially to disadvantage an opponent.