forswear definition by Webster's New World
- to renounce on oath; promise earnestly to give up
- to deny earnestly or on oath
Origin: Middle English forswerien ; from Old English forswerian: see for- and amp; swear
forswear definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also fore·swearverb for·swore also fore·swore , for·sworn also fore·sworn , for·swear·ing also fore·swear·ing, for·swears also fore·swears verb, transitive
- a. To renounce or repudiate under oath.b. To renounce seriously.
- To disavow under oath; deny.
- To make (oneself) guilty of perjury.
Origin: Middle English forsweren, from Old English forswerian : for-, wrongly; see for- + swerian, to swear; see swear.
forswear - Phrases/Idioms