- The definition of a flounce is a wide ruffle sewn onto a skirt or sleeve.
An example of a flounce is a gathered edging at the bottom of a skirt.
- Flounce is defined as to bounce around using quick, jerking body movements.
An example of flounce is the routines done by high school cheerleaders at a football game.
flounce definition by Webster's New World
- to move with quick, flinging motions of the body, as in anger
- to twist or turn abruptly; jerk
Origin: Early Modern English origin, originally , to dive: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Scandinavian as in Swedish dialect, dialectal flunsa, to dive, dip; uncertain or unknown; perhaps influenced, influence by bounce
Origin: earlier frounce ; from Middle English ; from Old French fronce ; from froncir, to wrinkle ; from Frankish an unverified form hrunkja, wrinkle, akin to German runzel
- flouncy adjective
flounce definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Alteration of frounce, from Middle English, pleat, from Old French fronce, of Germanic origin; see sker-2 in Indo-European roots.
intransitive verb flounced flounced, flounc·ing, flounc·es
- a. To move in a lively or bouncy manner: The children flounced around the room in their costumes.b. To move with exaggerated or affected motions: flounced petulantly out of the house.
- To move clumsily; flounder.
Origin: Possibly of Scandinavian origin.