- The definition of a finial is a small ornamental piece on the top of a furniture detail or an sculptured architectural ornament.
- An example of finial is a carved ball at the top of a spire.
- An example of finial is a decorative shape at the top of the lampshade.
A finial atop a steeple.
finial definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a decorative, terminal part at the tip of a spire, gable, lamp shade support, etc., or projecting upward from the top of a cabinet, breakfront, etc.
Origin: Middle English origin, originally adjective , final
finial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Architecture A sculptured ornament, often in the shape of a leaf or flower, at the top of a gable, pinnacle, or similar structure.
- An ornamental terminating part, as on a post or piece of furniture.
Origin: Middle English, last, finial, variant of final; see final.