Filigree wall decoration.
- The definition of filigree is something made in a lace-like design.
An example of filigree used as an adjective is in the phrase a filigree decoration on a building.
- Filigree is defined as delicate, ornamental work made of intertwined gold and silver wire, or a design that resembles this.
An example of a filigree is an intricately-crafted Christmas tree ornament.
- Filigree means to decorate with delicate work made of intertwined metal.
An example of filigree is to decorate a gate with a lace-like design.
- delicate, lacelike ornamental work of intertwined wire of gold, silver, etc.
- any delicate work or design like this
Origin of filigreealtered from earlier filigrain ; from French filigrane ; from Italian filigrana ; from Classical Latin filum, a thread (see file) + granum, grain
- Delicate and intricate ornamental work made from gold, silver, or other fine twisted wire.
- a. An intricate, delicate, or fanciful ornamentation.b. A design resembling such ornamentation: filigrees of frosting on a cake.
transitive verbfil·i·greed, fil·i·gree·ing, fil·i·grees
Origin of filigreeAlteration of French filigrane, from Italian filigrana : Latin f&imacron;lum, thread; see gwh&imacron;- in Indo-European roots + Latin granum, grain; see g&rlowring;&schwa;-no- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present filigrees, present participle filigreeing, simple past and past participle filigreed)