- The definition of filigree is something made in a lace-like design.
An example of filigree used as an adjective is in the phrase a filigree decoration on a building.
- Filigree is defined as delicate, ornamental work made of intertwined gold and silver wire, or a design that resembles this.
An example of a filigree is an intricately-crafted Christmas tree ornament.
- Filigree means to decorate with delicate work made of intertwined metal.
An example of filigree is to decorate a gate with a lace-like design.
Filigree wall decoration.
filigree definition by Webster's New World
- delicate, lacelike ornamental work of intertwined wire of gold, silver, etc.
- any delicate work or design like this
Origin: altered from earlier filigrain ; from French filigrane ; from Italian filigrana ; from Classical Latin filum, a thread (see file) plush granum, grain
filigree definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Delicate and intricate ornamental work made from gold, silver, or other fine twisted wire.
- a. An intricate, delicate, or fanciful ornamentation.b. A design resembling such ornamentation: filigrees of frosting on a cake.
Origin: Alteration of French filigrane, from Italian filigrana : Latin fīlum, thread; see gwhī- in Indo-European roots + Latin grānum, grain; see gṛə-no- in Indo-European roots.