field housefield house
- a building near an athletic field, with lockers, showers, etc. for the athletes' use
- a large building for basketball games, indoor track meets, etc.
- A building having locker rooms and storage and training facilities, located at an athletic field.
- A building having one or more areas for different athletic events and usually grandstands for spectators.
(plural field houses)
- (North America) A large building for indoor sports, particularly at colleges.
- (North America) A building for equipment storage and changing rooms (locker rooms) by an outdoor sports field.
1895. Originally a side building by an outdoor sports field, later used for large buildings for indoor sports.