field goalfield goal
- Basketball a shot made while the ball is in play, scoring two points or, if made from a certain distance (in professional basketball, at least 23 feet), three points
- Football a kick that passes through or above the space between the uprights, scoring three points
- Football A score worth three points made on an ordinary down by place-kicking or drop-kicking the ball over the crossbar and between the goal posts.
- Basketball A score made by throwing the ball through the basket in regulation play, worth two points or, if attempted from beyond a specified distance, three points.
(plural field goals)
- (American football) When the ball is kicked through the uprights and over the crossbar (not after a touchdown) for 3 points.
- He kicked a 33 yard field goal just before the half.
- (basketball) A made shot that was not a free throw.
- He got six field goals in the first half, two from three-point land.