- a small opening, as any of the covered oval openings in the inner wall of the middle ear
- a small, transparent spot, as in the wings of some insects
- any small opening in a membrane
Origin of fenestraModern Latin ; from L, window, probably ; from Etruscan an unverified form fnestra
- Anatomy A small anatomical opening, as in a bone.
- An opening in a bone made by surgical fenestration.
- Zoology A transparent spot or marking, as on the wing of a moth or butterfly.
- Architecture A windowlike opening.
Origin of fenestraLatin, window.