- A very girly lesbian who wears lots of pink lipstick and who might be called a "lipstick lesbian" is an example of a femme.
- A gay man who talks in a high girly voice and makes lots of girly hand gestures is an example of a femme.
The definition of a femme is a woman or wife, or a lesbian who acts in a very feminine role, or a gay man who takes on a feminine role.
- a woman or wife
- a person, esp. a lesbian, who dresses and behaves in a way regarded as traditionally feminine or effeminate
Origin of femmeFrench
- Slang A person, especially a lesbian or a gay man, who exhibits stereotypical feminine traits, often in an exaggerated way.
- Informal A woman or girl.
Origin of femmeFrench, from Old French, from Latin f&emacron;mina; see feminine.
OriginSee also: fem
Used in Middle English, from Old French fame et al. The modern spelling is under the influence of Middle and Modern French femme.