- The definition of a femme is a woman or wife, or a lesbian who acts in a very feminine role, or a gay man who takes on a feminine role.
- A very girly lesbian who wears lots of pink lipstick and who might be called a "lipstick lesbian" is an example of a femme.
- A gay man who talks in a high girly voice and makes lots of girly hand gestures is an example of a femme.
- a woman or wife
- a person, esp. a lesbian, who dresses and behaves in a way regarded as traditionally feminine or effeminate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Slang One who is femme.
- Informal A woman or girl.
Origin: French, from Old French, from Latin fēmina; see feminine.