- The definition of a fart is a release of gas from the anus or an annoying or stupid person.
- An example of a fart is the noise that gas makes when coming from the rear.
- An example of a fart is someone who constantly complains.
- To fart is vulgar slang that is defined as to release intestinal gas from the anus.
An example of to fart is an audible release of gas from the anus.
Origin of fartMiddle English ferten ; from Old English an unverified form feortan, akin to Old High German ferzan ; from Indo-European base an unverified form perd- from source Sanskrit párdatē, Classical Greek perdomai
- such a passing of gas
- Slang a person, esp. an old one, regarded as a fool, nuisance, etc.
Origin of fartME
intransitive verbfart·ed, fart·ing, farts
- An often audible discharge of intestinal gas.
- An annoying or foolish person.
Origin of fartMiddle English farten, from Old English *feortan; see perd- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present farts, present participle farting, simple past and past participle farted)
From Middle English ferten, farten, from Old English *feortan (in feorting (verbal noun)), from Proto-Germanic *fertaną (compare German farzen, furzen, Norwegian fjert), from Proto-Indo-European *perd-, *pérde. Cognate to Welsh rhech, Albanian pjerdh, Russian пердеть (perdetʹ), French péter, Ancient Greek πέρδομαι (perdomai), Sanskrit पर्दते (párdate).