fag endfag end
- the last part or coarse end of a piece of cloth
- the frayed, untwisted end of a rope
- the last and worst part of anything; remnant
Origin of fag endfrom Middle English fagge, broken thread
- The frayed end of a length of cloth or rope.
- a. An inferior or worn-out remnant.b. The last part: “the fag end of this crisis-ridden century” ( Wallace Irwin, Jr. )
Origin of fag endMiddle English fagge, fag broken thread in cloth, something that hangs loose
- Alternative form of fag-end.