fag endfag end
- the last part or coarse end of a piece of cloth
- the frayed, untwisted end of a rope
- the last and worst part of anything; remnant
Origin of fag end; from Middle English fagge, broken thread
- The frayed end of a length of cloth or rope.
- a. An inferior or worn-out remnant.b. The last part: “the fag end of this crisis-ridden century” (Wallace Irwin, Jr.)
Origin of fag endMiddle English fagge, fag, broken thread in cloth, something that hangs loose.
- Alternative form of fag-end.