- Fag is defined as hard work, a cigarette, or is a derogatory term for a homosexual man.
- An example of fag is working 14-hour long days.
- An example of a fag is what many people smoke.
- An example of a fag is an unkind name for a gay man.
- The definition of fag is to work hard.
An example of to fag is to work in the hot sun for 10 hours a day.
A cigarette butt is called a fag.
intransitive verbfagged, fagging
- to work hard and become very tired
- Brit., Informal to serve as a fag or servant
Origin of fag; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps fag end
- to make tired by hard work
- Brit., Informal to employ (a boy) as a fag or servant
- Brit., Informal
- hard, tiring work; drudgery
- fatigue; weariness
- a boy in an English public school who acts as a servant for another boy in a higher form, or class
- a menial worker; drudge
- ☆ Slang a male homosexual: a term of contempt and hostility
Origin of fag; from fag end
- a. A student at a boarding school who is required to perform menial tasks for a student in a higher grade.b. A drudge.
- Fatiguing or tedious work; drudgery.
verbfagged fagged, fag·ging, fags
verb, transitive Informal
verb, intransitive Chiefly British
- To work to exhaustion; toil.
- To function as the servant of another student in a boarding school.
Origin of fagFrom fag, to droop (obsolete), perhaps from Middle English fagge; see fag end.
Origin of fagShort for fag end.
Origin of fagShort for faggot2.
(third-person singular simple present fags, present participle fagging, simple past and past participle fagged)
Probably alteration of flag (“droop, tire”)
In North America, fag is often considered highly offensive, although some gay people have tried to reclaim it. (Compare faggot.) The humorousness of derived terms fag hag and fag stag is sometimes considered to lessen their offensiveness.