- a disk fastened to the spindle of a lathe that holds in place work to be turned
- a protective cover, as over a light switch, journal box, etc.
- A plate covering the front of an electrical device, as of a cell phone, audio receiver, or light switch.
- A disk attached to the mandrel of a lathe to hold the work to be turned.
- A protective plate covering the human face, as of a welder or diver.
- A removable protective shield separating the inner workings of a machine from operator and observer.
- A rigid flat surface that has an active role in the interaction of a device with an operator or user.