evil twinevil twin
- a. An identical twin or unrelated person who has a similar appearance to a decent or moral person but who wreaks havoc or does evil.b. An imaginary double humorously invoked to explain or excuse uncharacteristic or reprehensible behavior.
- A negative or malign counterpart of something considered to be positive or good: “Not every drug's side effects are caused by a molecular evil twin” (Audrey Choi).
- A fraudulent wireless Internet access point used to commit identity theft by recording the data traffic of unwitting users.
(plural evil twins)
- (idiomatic) A duplicate or counterpart of something or someone that acts in a contrary, nefarious, or insidious manner.
- As a ploy to discredit the reformist politician, the opposing party had hired a lookalike to act as his evil twin and be seen in a variety of compromising situations.
- (networking) A rogue wireless access point installed near a legitimate one for purposes of eavesdropping or phishing.