Variant of equity
noun pl. equities
- fairness; impartiality; justice
- anything that is fair or equitable
- ☆ the value of property beyond the total amount owed on it in mortgages, liens, etc.
- Accounting, Finance
- assets minus liabilities; net worth; capital
- that portion of a company's net worth belonging to its owners or shareholders: shareholders' equity
- shares of stock: bonds and equities
- resort to general principles of fairness and justice whenever existing law is inadequate
- a system of rules and doctrines, as in the U.S., supplementing common and statute law and superseding such law when it proves inadequate for just settlement
- a right or claim recognized in a court of equity
- equity of redemption
Origin: ME equite < OFr équité < L aequitas, equality < aequus: see equal
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.