The definition of an egg cell is the female reproductive ovum that a woman produces monthly.noun
An example of an egg cell is the female's egg that meets with a man's sperm to create a baby.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Variant of egg
- the oval or round body laid by a female bird, fish, reptile, insect, etc., containing a supply of nutrients, a protective membrane, and, when fertilized, the embryo of a new individual: many kinds of eggs have a thin, brittle shell as an outer covering
- a reproductive cell produced by a female animal or plant; ovumalso called egg cell
- the egg of a domestic fowl; specif., the liquid contents of a hen's egg, as used in cooking
- a thing resembling a hen's egg
- Slang a person: he's a good egg
Origin: ME < ON, replacing native ey < OE æg, akin to Ger ei (pl. eier), prob. < IE base *owjom-, *ojom-, of a bird (> L ovum, Gr ōion) < *awei-, bird (> L avis)
- to mix or cover with the yolk or white of eggs, as in cooking
- ☆ Informal to throw eggs at
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.