☆ Informal, Dialectal a choice or preference: if I had my druthers
Origin of drutherscontr. ; from I'd rather, with sound influenced, influence by other
A choice or preference: “Given their druthers, these hell-for-leather free marketeers might sell the post office” (George F. Will).
Origin of druthersAlteration of the phrase 'd rather, from would rather.
- The singular form "druther" is used with the same meaning, but much more rarely.
- The noun "druthers" is sometimes used in conjunction with the verb "druther" for increased comic effect.
- If I've got my druthers, I'd druther not.
- or, alternatively,
- If I've got my druthers, I druther not.
- This double formation was popularized by the American cartoonist Al Capp (1909-1979) in the long-running Li'l Abner comic strip and was also featured in the song "If I Had my Druthers" in Li'l Abner: The Musical (1956).