drill instructordrill instructor
A noncommissioned officer who instructs recruits in military drill and discipline.
(plural drill instructors)
- (US) The generic term for the principal instructor of fresh military recruits undergoing basic training in the various branches of the United States military, routinely abbreviated to the initialism DI; always filled by enlisted personnel (a sergeant or petty officer).
- Army: drill sergeant
- Navy: recruit division commander
- Marine Corps: drill instructor
- Air Force: military training instructor
- Coast Guard: company commander